We are happy to announce that Hawaii’s Civil Union Law went into effect at midnight on Jan. 1, 2012, providing same-sex partners with similar rights and privileges to those afforded by marriage. We will be creating slightly modified wedding packages for those couples seeking a civil union and inquiring about our services here on the beautiful island of Maui, Hawaii. All the information on our website pertains to the same sex wedding couple as well. Packages will be customized for ladies and gentlemen alike and adding a Hawaiian touch to your beautiful ceremony is a MUST.

The fee for a civil union license is $70, plus an administration fee of $5. In addition to filling out a license application, couples for a civil union must appear before a state-approved licensing agent and will get married either by a judge or a minister, priest or officer of any religious denomination. In applying for a civil union license, both applicants must appear in person before a civil union license

agent. The fee for a license is payable either at the licensing agent here on Maui or online by credit card upon completion of the application.

The application for the license shall be completed in its entirety, dated, signed, and sworn to by each applicant and shall state each applicant’s full name, date of birth, birthplace, residence, social security number, whether single, widowed, or divorced, and whether the applicant is under the supervision or control of a conservator or guardian.
A civil union license is issued immediately after the application is accepted by a civil union license agent, and it is valid statewide. This license expires 30 days after the date of issuance.

To enter a civil union, both persons must be at least 18 years of age; not a partner in another civil union, a spouse in a marriage, or a party to a reciprocal beneficiary relationship; and not related to the other proposed partner in the civil union. Proof of age will be requested in the form of an I.D. or driver’s license.

If previously married, in a previous civil union, or in a reciprocal beneficiary relationship, proof of termination needs to be presented to the civil union agent by the applicant if the termination occurred within 30 days of applying for a civil union license. Proof of termination includes a divorce decree, a civil union termination decree, a reciprocal beneficiary relationship termination, or a death certificate. NO FAX COPY WILL BE ACCEPTED.

wedding planner

Meet Arabelle

Arabelle was born and raised in Hamburg, Germany. She studied the law and English at the University of Hamburg before visiting Maui for the very first time in 1993. Here she fell in love with the island and met her Californian husband who she married in 1995. Standing barefoot in the warm sand, listening to the crashing waves and Hawaiian music while saying her “ I Do’s” made her want to share this romantic and unique experience with as many people as she could. Fast forward to today, and Ancient Hawaiian Weddings has performed thousands of intimate beach weddings for couples from all over the world. Arabelle finds each and every wedding exciting and touching, pouring her heart and energy into every couples dream and making it a reality.


AHW has been a premier Maui Wedding Planner since 1995. read more


visit our blog
email us